Thursday, September 20, 2007

Miso Fish

Miso Fish

While slogging through the blog clog, I found so many recipes from weeks or months ago that never made it onto the blog. This is either because the photo just was not post-worthy or I had neglected to write down the recipe as I was cooking and forgotten the exact quantities of the ingredients. As for this recipe, I'm going to be honest, none of the shots that I took were flattering. Nevertheless, I love this miso fish recipe. It's simple, it's quick, and most importantly it's delicious. In fact it is one of my oldest recipes, dating back to when I first started to cook.

Notes:
- The ratio is 1 tablespoon of miso and and 1 tablespoon of wine for each 4 oz. fillet. You can use 2 tablespoons of each if your fillets are really large.
- I find that my skillet will fit 3 fillets at once, so this recipe is made for 3 servings.
- No salt is called for in the recipe because of the miso. Feel free to add pepper if you'd like
- I most often use tilapia but you can substitute another white fish
- I usually use Shao Hsing rice wine but mirin will also work. The finished product will be a little sweeter

Miso Fish

3 fillets of white fish (around 4 oz.)
3 Tbsp of miso (white)
3 Tbsp of rice wine
1/4 C flour
Vegetable oil

Mix the rice wine and miso together to form a paste. Add the fillets into a zipper lock bag and add the miso mixture on top of the fillets. Close the bag and try to rub the miso mix on both side of each fillet. Marinate in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight. I usually do this in the morning before I leave for work and then I am able to fix it up for dinner.

Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly dredge each fillet in some flour. Panfry the fish until both sides have an evenly browned crust, about 3 minutes per side. If your fillets are on the thick side, cook the fillets over medium heat so they can cook through without the crusts burning.

Serve with steamed white rice.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment