Wednesday, March 7, 2007

How to Make Chicken Stock

Homemade chicken stock is something that's always handy to keep around. It’s easy to make at home and so much better than anything that comes in a can. When I cook chicken, I try to save the bones and skin for making stock later, whether it's a carcass of a roasted chicken or bones from deboning breasts and thighs. After making the stock, I freeze it in small portions so I can easily defrost what I need.

Easy Chicken Stock
For one chicken carcass I use 2 quarts of water

Onion, celery, carrot, roughly chopped
Chicken bones
Water
2 - 3 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper

Brown vegetables (I only had half an onion today) in the stockpot (and I only own a large saucepan so I use that).

When the vegetables are slightly brown, add the chicken bones and or skins, water, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Today I used a leftover carcass from a rotisserie chicken.





Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Skim off the foam that rises to the top. Simmer for 3 - 4 hours. The stock will no longer be clear but look opaque and cloudy. The longer it's cooked, the more concentrated the flavors will be.



Strain the stock, let cool, and skim off the fat. Divide into small containers and store in the freezer.

Links:
Elise of Simply Recipe has 2 ways to make chicken stock

0 komentar:

Post a Comment